APEX™ FLexible ingot CASTING TECHNOLOGY
APEX™ Ingot Casting Technology
New Adaptable, Extendable Ingot Mold Technology
APEX™ CASTING TECHNOLOGY DELIVERS THE HIGHEST LEVELS OF FLEXIBILITY IN MOLD SIZES
Wagstaff® APEX™ Rolling Ingot Casting Technology incorporates a fully automated, fully adjustable mold that all but eliminates ingot butt swell. Butt swell is increased thickness in the ingot’s butt region caused by casting with fixed molds. When casting speeds are outside of the mold’s specifications, the ingot’s finished shape will not be as flat as expected. Butt swell is waste which needs to be removed by scalping prior to rolling. Pit recoveries improve through minimal butt swell scalp when casting with APEX Ingot Casting Technology.
Using Wagstaff’s sophisticated, patented, recipe-controlled mold bore flexing throughout the cast tightly controls the ingot shape. APEX allows for ingot shape optimization for nearly all alloy and speed combinations while casting flatter ingots. The APEX mold bore shape is configured to meet optimum cast speed and alloy requirements, whereas most mold bores are designed to meet slower cast speeds to reduce butt swell. Cast speeds can be increased by 25% with APEX Ingot Casting Technology.
OPTIMIZE, DON'T COMPROMISE
APEX technology allows for quick mold size changes. Move the end faces to change the ingot width, swap in new end faces to change the ingot thickness. The APEX casting system also allows for changes to thicknesses, widths, and mold bore flex recipes in minutes, as opposed to the several weeks it takes for a new mold to be designed and delivered. APEX also accommodates for size, alloy, and speed changes while still producing a flatter ingot than those created in a fixed mold. New ingot size orders can begin in hours, as opposed to several months.
Less Equipment = Less Environmental Impact
APEX provides sustainability benefits with the reduced resources required in manufacturing an efficient, multi-size casting station.
- Multiple mold sets can be replaced with a single mold set
- Reduces mold production material output by decreasing the mining, smelting, rolling, machining, transportation and storage space requirements of light metal production.
- Reduces butt swell, which reduces the amount of ingot scrap generated from butt crop and scalping procedures
- Less energy and space requirements for scrap handling
- APEX-GL: uses less than 10 percent of the oil required for standard molds
- Reduces resource use and minimizes potential water contamination
See how APEX Ingot Casting Technology can increase the flexibility of your casthouse operation: